As an amateur I played off a handicap of one and represented my club and county on numerous occassions.In 1988 after completing my “A” Levels I decided to join the Professional ranks and secured an assistant professional role at Malone Golf Club,training under Peter O Hagan’s guidance.
During this time I thoroughly enjoyed this role, especially the members who were extremely supportive of me and still are.-it was a great place to work.In 1992 I gained excellent results in my final PGA exams,gaining the title of a fully Qualified Golf Professional.
In 1992 I secured the position of Club Professional at the luxurious Slieve Russell Hotel,Golf and Country Club.To be part of an emerging club was a great challenge and one I really enjoyed and again the members and local people were very welcoming.
In 2003 I was then promoted to the role of Golf Director at the Slieve Russell overseeing all aspects of the golf operations with a staff of thirty employees.Then in 2005 when the Quinn Group purchased the world famous Belfry in Birmingham,England I also became more involved in the course operations at that prestigious venue.
Up until 2005 I would have been competing on a regular basis on the Irish PGA Region,playing in many pro-ams and tournaments.
Some of my playing highlights were:
- 1992 3rd in the Ulster Championship-won by Darren Clarke
- 1996 3rd in the Ulster Championship-won by Jimmy Heggarty
- 1998 Won the Fred Daly Memorial Pro-Am at Balmoral shooting 66 (3 under )
- Shot 67 ( 4 under ) to equal course at Mount Wolsley in the Irish Club Professional Championhip
- Shot 67 ( 5 under) to finish 3rd in the Irish Club Professional Championship at the Curragh